Monday, April 23, 2012

Gluten Free Scallop Corn "Chowder"


Scallop Corn Chowder a la Liz


I love me some chowder.  However, I don't know if this really qualifies. It started with an idea. The idea was that I was hungry.  And I had scallops in the freezer that would defrost quickly. Oh and I had a bag of frozen corn from our garden.  And I just bought some cream.  So this is what I added:

1lb bay scallops
1 Vidalia onion chopped
About 1 cup corn
Dry sherry (1/2 cup?)
Butter
about 1/4 cup cream
sea salt, pepper, thyme, sage
1 tbsp dried parsley
1 tsp celery leaves

1. Saute onions in butter and sherry. Cook until translucent.
2. Add scallops. Cook covered until opaque. Stir occasionally.
3. Add a little more sherry if running dry at any point. (I never really know how much I have used) You should have a decent amount of liquid in the pan if you are keeping it covered.
4. Add corn, cream, and parsley, celery and spices to taste. Stir to incorporate.
5. Allow to simmer about 10 minutes to rehydrate parsley and celery leaves. 
6. Optional-add tsp arrowroot powder dissolved in tsp water to thicken. I tried it both before and after. It was good both ways. If you want it more soupy, skip this step.

This served two of us with enough leftover for two more bowls. If it is the entire meal, it would probably feed 3 people. We had spinach on the side.

I usually cook by the seat of my pants. I get inspiration from reading recipes but I prefer to wing it.  In the past, I would try to follow recipes to a "T" and I would ruin everything because I got too hung up on the details. So I let my inner chef free and started experimenting.  It has made all the difference in the world.  Happy Cooking!

I hope you enjoy it!


No comments:

Post a Comment